As Sailor Moon is being rebooted I thought this the perfect opportunity to break down each character so that a new generation can understand and appreciate the intricacies of the show:
Sailor Moon: 14 years old. The leader, by proxy as it is the name of the show as well the Moon apparently is the most powerful ‘planet’ in our solar system. She is a bi-polar binge eater who is addicted to video games. She also is dating a pedophile.
Sailor Mercury: 14 years old. The smart one. Her attacks include throwing dish soap bubbles as well water balloons and a thick misty gas cloud at enemies. Her weapon is a tablet with GPS capabilities.
Sailor Mars: 14 years old. The bitchy one. She is sometimes psychic (like Madame Cleo) and has a pervy Grandpa. She worships the devil and shoots flaming fortune cookie fortunes at her opponents.
Sailor Jupiter: 14 years old. The tall one. Her parents are dead so she has her own apartment and therefore is also the cool one. She also cooks a lot and indulges Sailor Moon’s eating disorder. Her powers are all over the place, sometimes lighting, sometimes flowers and sometimes coconuts.
Sailor Venus: 14 years old. The one whose name rhymes with penis. She is the first Sailor Scout found. Her hobbies include identity theft, as she likes to imitate princesses as well play volleyball. Her dream is to become the first blonde Japanese Karaoke-based pop star. Her weapon of choice is anal-beads (sorry, a ‘love-me’ chain).
Sailor Chibi-Moon: 8 years old. The pink one. She likes to sexually fantasize over a younger version of her father. She is exactly like Sailor Moon, except much younger, weaker and whinier. Her powers include a pink power rod that shoots sugary juice. Everything she owns and wears is pink except for her red demon eyes.
Sailor Uranus: 17 years old. The deceiving one. She is a lesbian who likes to dress like a boy to lure in much younger girls. Despite her name her powers actually come from above and not below. Her weapon is a jeweled sword that she likes to keeps inside herself for safekeeping.
Sailor Neptune: 17 years old. The green one. Her natural hair colour is aqua and one can only assume the carpet matches the drapes. Her powers are stemmed from water, and unlike Sailor Mercury, she can drown a bitch. She is also a lesbian and lover (or cousin depending on the translation) of Sailor Uranus.
Sailor Pluto: 21 years old. The multicultural one. She is the only non-white Sailor. She is Italian, black or some kind of Spanish. Her weapon is a big ass-key, which is used to open all of our hearts. She spent most of her life watching a big door to the future and was charged to kill anyone who touches it. She fails several times.
Sailor Saturn: 12 years old. The Goth one. This kid is obsessed with wearing black and suffers from social anxiety, depression and heart palpitations, basically a hypochondriac. She is the most dangerous as her powers can destroy planets, and carries a big ass stick of doom. She is one badass mother you don’t want to mess with.
Sailor Star-Fighter: 17 years old. An MTF transgender who is a football star and the lead singer in a boy band. As a boy they are in love with Sailor Moon, as a girl they have the longest rat-tail ever and like to wear bondage gear.
Sailor Star-Healer: 17 years old. An MTF transgender who as a boy is a bitchy gay guy and as a girl is a bitchy gay guy. Their powers include being the most tanned albino ever and reading a queen down.
Sailor Star-Maker: 17 years old. An MTF transgender whose powers literally come from their uterus. As a boy they are the most intellectual of the three starlights, as a girl they are the butchest of the three.
Tuxedo Mask: 19 years old. A college student and a pedophile that loves Sailor Moon, wearing tuxedos and wearing marks. Its obvious he owns shares in floral companies as he is constantly throwing roses at women. He is also famed for trying to bring castanets as a backing soundtrack back into fashion.
Sailor Galaxia: (age unknown). Basically the Cher of the Sailor Scouts. The bitch loves gold, bracelets and turning people into diamond shape crystals and keeping them in her collection. She is stronger than everyone and she will be the first to let you know it and let you have it hunty.
There you have it, the world of Sailor Moon summed up for a new generation. By golly its great to see the wonderment of stories summed up for the kids.
Tarantino is the master of filmmaking and probably one of my top 3 favourite directors of all time. To pay homage to the man who pays so much homage (this word appears a lot below by the way), I am rating his films.
1. Reservoir Dogs (1992)= 4/5 = This film is a classic, mostly shot in one room, a cast of gangsters tear each other apart after a heist gone wrong. Basically Benny Hill with guns.
2. Pulp Fiction (1994) = 5/5 = Tarantino’s opus, not only because of its homage to serial films from the 1970s, not only also because it opened up new possibilities and ideas to young director’s around the World but also it brought Travolta back with a vengeance.
3. Jackie Brown (1997) = 3.5/5 = A decent effort and attempt at a ‘Blaxploitation’ film. The only weakness was too much typical dialogue and not enough random action that made those films oh-so-memorable. I wanted more “Honey, I’m Jackie Brown” moments.
4. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (2003) = 4/5 = Written as a birthday present for Uma Thurman, this first of the two-part franchise paid homage to Akira Kurosawa’s “Seven Samurai” as well “Yojimbo”. Excellent fight scenes and beheadings.
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004) = 4.5/5 = The second part pays more tribute to the American films influenced by Kurosawa, especially by John Sturges and Sergio Leone’s “Dollars” trilogy. Stronger due to its ability to make us squirm and feel tension without an onslaught of blood and battles.
6. Death Proof (2007) = 4.5/5 = though this is my personal favourite Tarantino film, it isn’t his strongest. Death Proof combines the simple and joyous elements of horror, suspense, danger and revenge. In the vein of family film “I Spit on Your Grave” and others of that nature.
7. Inglorious Basterds (2009) = 4/5 = Christoph Waltz makes this film. Without him I’m not sure I would have given it such a high rating. The premise is quite strong but sometimes does get lost in the mythology of the Basterds rather than focusing on them directly.
8. Django Unchained (2012) = 4/5 = this film is wonderfully made and well cast. Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio give their best performances to date (Amazing Spider-Man 2 sooooooked badly) but it is really Samuel L. Jackson who steals the show.
My Choices for RuPaul’s Drag Race: ALL STARS 2.
1. Willam (Season 4) = Willam is the perfect mix of sarcasm and talent and exactly what is needed for All Stars 2
2. Detox (Season 5) = Detox is a fierce queen and her recent feud with Willam will have us eating it dahling.
3. Adore Delano (Season 6) = Season 6’s breakout star has us gagging for more, post-Drag Race, has she upped her style?
4. Alyssa Edwards (Season 5) = All T, all shade she is one of the most entertaining Queens of all the seasons
5. Alaska (Season 5) = If teams are involved this All-Stars then paring Detox with Alaska would rock, otherwise this Queen is as smart as she is talented.
6. Shangela (Season 3)= Probably the best comedy Queen on RPDR, Shangella may not be the most stylish, but she knows how to play the game.
7. Tatianna (Season 2) = The most controversial Queen of Season 2 made it to the Top 4 and proved that someone with little to no experience can prove she’s as good as some seasoned Queens.
8. Ongina (Season 1) = Probably the last of the Season 1 girls worth getting back on RPDR. Her flare for the original could teach some Season 6 girls a thing or two.
9. BenDeLaCreme (Season 6) = DeLa won our hearts in the previous season as well the title of Miss Congeniality. She deserves a second chance.
10. Jessica Wild (Season 2) = A gracious and wonderful Queen who gave the other girls a lot of support, and a lot of attitude.
11. Carmen Carrera (Season 3) = One of the most known faces from season 3, regardless of her transition, I believe she is still eligible and fierce enough to bring some competition to these girls.
12. Phi Phi O’Hara (Season 4) = This is a controversial choice as she is the most hated of the season 4 Queens, however, just like Tatianna, she worked her ass off to make it to the Top, and almost took Sharon Needles down in a lipsync.
13. Victoria “Porkchop” Parker (Season 1) = It would be amazing to see the first ever eliminated Queen beat the best of the best to become the All Star Champion.
Rock Star Shoot with model and musician James Hudson.
(click the photo for the full set or the link here)
Shot: July 11, 2014; Ottawa, Canada
Model: James Hudson, MIM
Make-up: Meredith Lyman
Styling: Marc Brigden (me!)
Hair: JetBlack Hair & Studio
Model and rocker James Hudson and I became fast friends after doing a gig together earlier in the month and we decided to have some fun with this shoot. James loves singing and is a great guitar player and I wanted to play agains’t his normal good guy attributes and make him look as hard and punk rock as possible.