What I want to see in Marvel’s Cinematic Universe Phase 3:
Marvel Entertainment is gearing up for two new films this year before its 2015 release of Phase 2 finale, Avengers: Age of Ultron. Rumour has it that a couple of films are already in development. Of those films four have been confirmed to be Captain America 3, Thor 3, Ant-Man and Avengers 3. Robert Downey-Jr. has said he will only appear as Iron Man in the Avengers films and debunked any rumours of an Iron Man 4. So where does that lead us for the rest of the film franchise?
Marvel has kept option release dates open between 2016-2018 for a possible three extra films to be made. Could this possibly be in case there are scripts ready, or has the planning already begun?
Of the characters Marvel owns film rights to, Dr. Strange seems to be the most likely candidate for a solo film. Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios has wanted this film to be made since the end of Phase 1. Many Hollywood actors have been waiting to audition for this role, including Patrick Dempsey who lobbied for the role in early 2013.
Because of the hush-hush nature of the planned releases for this year we have yet to know if Thanos will be a major villain seen in the next three films. All we know is that in Phase 2, each film seems to be a stand alone rather than a build up to Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Beyond Thanos, what I would like to see in the next Phase is the following Marvel Comic lore:
1. Introduce Carol Danvers, either in a solo film or in the next Captain America film. As Ms. Marvel, Carol is a great asset, but she is also an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and may have a lot to offer to the team.
2. Make Maria Hill a hard-ass. Cobie Smulders did a good job in her minor role as the S.H.I.E.L.D. commander, yet she was not mean or stern enough for my liking. Her at-odds attitude with Tony Stark needs to be developed more.
3. Remove some of the original team members from Avengers 3. The original cast of characters is strong and wonderful, however the thing about the Avengers is that the team is always changing. It would be awful to see this film fall into the trap that the X-Men films did in which they kept characters from every film and stock-piled even more on top.
4. Have a female superhero lead in her own title film. From past mistakes, we know that its hard to make a film with a strong female lead, however if anyone can do it Joss Whedon can. If he can’t direct it, at least let him produce, write and guide it.
5. Introduce the Enchantress in Thor 3. I’ve been waiting for ages to see one of the best Marvel villains appear in film. As Loki has taken charge of Asgard he will need as many allies as he can get.
6. Civil War or evil Scarlet Witch as the final story arch? It would be interesting to see Civil War occur in Avengers 3, however this would require a myriad of characters and endless fight scenes, as well didn’t we already see the Avengers fight in number 1? Perhaps the Scarlett Witch as the villain as happened in the comic DisAssembled, but then again this may turn out like X-Men: The Last Stand.
7. Ensure Ant-Man returns for the Avengers 3. Nuff’ said!
8. Avoid crossing over with the new Spider-Man franchise. I know that Sony owns the rights to the Spider-Man franchise, but there has been talk since the reboot of merging the two worlds. I for one am not a fan of the Spidey reboot and the clips of the new film have not looked impressive to me.
9. Remove the Earth elements from Thor 3. Thor is much more interesting when he’s in a mystical realm, and though the human characters a delight, their story lines are running thin.
10. Don’t let Phase 3 be the last in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There has been some murmers that Phase 3 will be the last to feature the Avengers cast members. I for one hope there are at least an Avengers 4 and 5.
And there you have it, some simple demands for the movie franchise I love. I doubt all of these things will come into fruition but hopefully Marvel will maintain their high standards for films.